We were out and about one day and stopped at an Estate Sale Consignment place and saw this SUPER ugly faux fireplace.
We don't have a fireplace in our house and talked about putting a fake one in our living room area so we thought... why not?!
Here is what we did to make it over.
This is what this little gem looked like when we brought it home. Quite the beauty, eh?! lol
It had a insert but it was pointless. Just had fake logs that when you plugged it in just lit up, so we took it out all together.
To start, the whole piece got sanded down and I painted it white using my paint sprayer.
We planned on retiling the whole thing so we pulled off the fake brick on the hearth so the new tile would be even with the wood trim surround.
The new tile was just placed on the brick around the back area.
Obviously, this is a fake fireplace but we wanted it to blend in, so Travis knotched out the molding where the sides would meet the wall so it would slide completely to the wall.
Travis then built a new box for the hole where the insert was.
He had to remove the molding on the front to attach it.
Once, the new box was installed and the molding was replaced, the new tile job began.
We bought marble subway tiles from Lowe's and they were perfect!
Once the tile was complete, it was MY job to touch up the paint and paint the new box insert.
I had to touch up the white where Travis had to reattach the molding and a few other places.
When the white was good and dry, the pain stacking tape job began of taping off the white so I could paint the box black.
On the bottom of the box, we placed a thin piece of plexi glass.
We did this to protect the paint from any item that I may place inside the insert, mostly wax from candles.
I'm so happy to have the mantle done and can decorate it now!
I'm still working on what I want on the inside. I want candles but not happy with what I have played with so far so back to the drawing board.
Also, I'm playing with a final look for the mantle itself but I can't wait for a holiday to go all out on it!