As soon as we decided that the girls weren't going to share a room anymore and I had to come up with a new nursery, my mind immediately started to race.
I started browsing Pinterest and looking back at my nursery board I created before Miss P and came up with a few ideas I really liked.
If you recall from Miss P's nursery reveal, we did a board and batten treatment in her room so I wanted to incorporate wood some how in the new nursery. I showed Travis a picture of a plank wall and convinced him to do it in the nursery.
Labor Day weekend we headed to Lowe's to gather all the wood and got to work.
It was really easy and he was done with the installation in a day and I got to painting it the next day.
Here's how we did it.
We went to Lowe's and bought primed MDF boards that were 8 ft. long x 6 in wide.
Our wall was just over 10 ft. so we also bought 2 in. wide boards to fill the gaps at the end of the wood because I wanted continuous boards across the wall instead of mutiple boards on each row.
And then we bought 3 in. wide boards to cover the ends.
Travis started by removing the baseboard on the wall where we were installing the wood.
He also trimmed the baseboard on the two side walls so they would meet the wood wall when complete.
He then installed the small 2 in. boards in each corner of the room.
He cut these 6 ft. long because we decided to do a ledge on top of the plank wall like Miss P has in her room.
Once each small end piece was installed, it was time to install the planks in between them.
Travis used liquid nails on the back of the wood then nailed them in with his nail gun.
We used nickels across the top ledge of each plank for spacing between our boards.
Just place the next plank on top of the nickels and nail in place then just pull the nickels out for the next row.
He continued up the wall and cut out the area of the wood where an electrical socket was.
Once all the planks were installed, he covered up the gap on the sides with the 3 in. wood pieces to give it a clean edge.
Then topped it with a piece of wood to create the ledge.
Here is a closer shot of the side piece and ledge.
Under the ledge, we used a piece of decorative molding for a little extra support and to clean up the under side. We used the same molding under the ledge in Miss P's room.
Once Travis was finished with the installation, it was my turn to get to work.
I went through and filled in all the nail holes and caulked down the wall, inside along the planks, and along the top where the decorative molding was.
I let it all dry over night before I continued.
The next day, I sanded down the wood, especially over the filled holes and wiped the boards clean.
We also covered the wall and carpet because I planned on spraying the wood with my paint sprayer instead of using a roller.
I used Valspar Ultra White, paint and primer in one, in a semi-gloss finish to cover the wood.
I applied 2 coats to make sure it was nice and covered.
I touched up any areas that needed touching up, mostly along the edges or near the floor, and it was complete!
We painted the walls a pear green color (more on that crazy adventure later) and I love how it came out!
The crib will be centered on this wall and I can't wait to pull the whole room together.
Stay tuned for more nursery posts as things get completed.
Time is ticking so we need to keep moving!