Thursday, September 28, 2017

Basement Makeover- The Process

You guys, I have talked about working on our basement for MONTHS and I am so stinking happy that I can actually can start to share it with you today!

This has been a work in progress since end of March, beginning of April. It has been mostly done for quite some time but with Travis's busy training schedule over the summer it wasn't fully finished until recently.

Before I get into all the details, let me show you what the room looked like when we bought the house and what it has looked like the past two years. 
The room was just dirty from age, faded, dark, painted with yellow walls and ceiling, red floors (hello mustard and ketchup!) and brown accents here or there. It was terrible! 

As soon as you walked in the door you had a view of the girl's trampoline. It was a short, not fully size trampoline so we set it up in the basement for the girls to use during the nasty cold winter months. To the right as you walk in, we moved a large shelving unit that the previous owners left and it was full of items. It wasn't suppose to live there but we had to move it from the location it was in to fix the floor under it and then once that happened it never went back until now. 

As you look to the left, you get to the laundry side of the basement and more storage. We have 3 columns in the center of the room, one original and two were added later probably when the second floor of the house was added in the '40s, so they line up awkwardly. The giant rug on the floor was left by the previous owners and it was actually in our master bathroom. We definitely didn't want to use it in there so we drug this ginormous, heavy, wool rug to our basement to hope it would help with warmth in the winters. 

Then in the far left corner, was our indoor out house, utility sink, and washer. 
The washer and dryer sit on super thick pieces of plywood that sit over the original wood floor that, we assume, the previous owner put down for more strength under the washer and dryer and just stand out again the red painted floor.


As soon as we moved in, I had a plan of exactly what I wanted to do to the basement it was just a matter of time to tackle the huge job. After talking about it forever and after finishing many of the other house projects, it was time to tackle it! 


We began by clearing out the room and giving it a good cleaning before we started to paint.

To help get this massive job done, we busted out the Finish Max paint sprayer from Home Right.
This thing was a life saver since we had so many seams between all the wood on the walls and ceiling plus duct work.

 With living with the room so dark for so long, I knew I wanted to paint the room bright white! No surprise really, that has been my go to color with this house to make it brighter and I have not regretted it once yet.
Travis would paint the walls and ceiling with a roller and then I would come behind him and go over the area to fill in all the cracks and seams between the wood. So much better than having to use a brush to get between all that! 

It was also SOOOOO helpful when it came to spraying all the duct work in the basement!

Once the walls were done it was time to tackle the floor!
Since we painted the walls white, I wanted to add some sort of pattern to the floor for a little whimsy so we primed and painted the floor white then went back and painted large gray stripes. I LOVE IT! 
We left three rows white then painted five gray and it was perfect. Plus, we painted the thick plywood under the washer and dryer so it would blend right in now instead of standing out. 

I did want to add a tiny bit of color but nothing too bright that it would stand out big time in the room so I used the left over aqua paint from the girl's bathroom and painted the columns and the trim around the window with it. It was the perfect added touch of color to go with the stripe floor. 


After all the was done and we let the floors cure for a week or two, it was time to move stuff in. 
Well, it would have been time but that is when Travis's training started and he was either out of town or working crazy hours so things got a little pushed back. He made sure I had a working washer and dryer and that is about it for the room. I didn't want to move the heavy stuff alone because I didn't want to risk scratching the floor so things sat. But I was still able to go down and use this awesome space for laundry and it was amazingly brighter and so much more cheerful! 

We made a little progress on the room when he had a small break in July but then he went back to it in August so needless to say this was a long project! 

It is done now but you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the full reveal so STAY TUNED! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive and read your comments. It just makes my day! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...